Australian National

(anotd)
Friday 17th July 1998

This on-line paper is now archived for perpetuity in the National Library of Australia

Subscriber's password check (have your subscription number handy)
Subscribers get free access to the monthly "The Strategy" on-line from April 1998.

Recent stories exclusive to  (how to) subscribe/rs of the Australian National News of the Day now at the bottom of this page.

"ON NOW" weekly abbreviated anotd fax-back - Updated every Friday afternoon.
Dial: 1902 211037 and follow the instructions.

(Note: costs 0.75 c per minute will be billed to your phone account under "ON NOW NEWS LETTER")

Current topical links (available to all readers):
[Links to the MAI]
[One Nation on-line DISCUSSION forum] [One Nation Federal Web Site]
Archive of weekly features (available to all readers):
[The Canberra Column] [Economic Rationalism]

Today's Headlines
an Aussie's viewpoint on Australia's first daily Internet newspaper.
Since October 1995

Between the One Nation lines

It is now clear that the legal action being taken by two ex-One Nation candidates is in some way tied up with the Liberal Party.

The two candidates Terry Sharples and David Summers have taken the action challenging the status of the One Nation party in Queensland with the sole aim of preventing the Queensland Electoral Commission from refunding One Nation candidates for their expenses in running their campaigns. An amount of Au$500,000 is involved.

The costs of taking an action like this through the Supreme Court (running into tens of thousands of dollars) smacks of a hidden agenda for two individuals who have nothing to gain financially - even if they win.

The missing link, now exposed, is the Liberal legal representative Tone Martin QC representing the two in the Supreme Court. So the answer would appear to be that the expenses are looked after on a politically based arrangement.

The case is set to be heard on the 27th July.

Hanson on unmarried mothers and welfare

Here is an extract from the latest press release:

Pauline Hanson today made it clear One Nation has very strong feelings on unmarried mothers continuing to have children at taxpayers' expense.

"I am not speaking of women whose marriages breakdown and who then find themselves in the position of having to raise their children without the help of the father - my concern is for those who start young with children out of wedlock and then repeat the performance - in many cases with a different man.

Everyone makes mistakes and young girls in particular are vulnerable to pressures that may leave them the mother of an unplanned child but we should expect that once having had the experience of a child out of wedlock more care would be taken to ensure the situation is not repeated.

It is particularly disturbing young girls or women go on to have more children from different fathers and then finish up in a de-facto relationship with a man not related to any of the children. There is no way this is in the interests of the children, it is a serious breakdown of the family unit and it is a practice we must not support.

German Newspaper writes glowingly of Pauline Hanson

Here is an extract from the article which appeared today in Junge Freiheit:

A revolt has begun in Queensland, started by a gutsy woman with no rhetorical skills, no special interest behind her, no profound knowledge of politics, nothing else but a fierce belief in common sense and fairness for her own people, the people who believe that they made Australia the "lucky country" and aim to keep it that way. The accusation by the Treasurer Costello that she is the pawn of "sinister forces" is a nonsense which should be thrown back in the face of the man who made it. Most threatening of all to big business is the radical undertone of One Nation's populism.

The Canberra Column by Peter Mackay

Here is an extract from this week's article:

He held the audience spellbound as he related a tale of violence, of discrimination, of threats, and of millions of dollars. Percy knows where the bodies are buried. He can tell you exactly how and where the millions of dollars intended to raise Aboriginal living standards are going.

Percy Duncan has an impeccable history as part of the Aboriginal Industry. He spent many years working his way up, working for his people, working for the equality promised in the 1967 referendum.

He ended up as the Secretary of a land council controlling vast acreages and funds. There was eight million dollars in the bank when his term came to an end, but a few months later it had all vanished, and a half-dozen people were driving flashy new cars and building new houses.

It's just the tip of the iceberg, says Percy. He has a network of friends and relations with similar stories across New South Wales and across Australia.

Percy has the evidence. Percy, like Pauline, has the support of the people. Not just the Aboriginal folk who were denied the community resources that eight million dollars could have bought, but the support of all decent Australians.

National Party move closer to One Nation  or suffering "Hansonitis?"

The National Party now appear to be getting the message. The message is simple - that the Liberal Party represent big business and have no interest in the rural sector or the Aussie battler.

Over the last few days this fact has started to cause a most interesting rift between the Coalition partners. The rift is now bordering on an open revolt with several National Party MPs agreeing with Pauline Hanson that the 1967 Referendum, the basis on which race base inequality has been allowed to foster, should be challenged in Parliament. This just days after Howard hammered Pauline Hanson in the Parliament for questioning the manner in which Australians would have voted if they knew what impact it would have had in years to come.

On top of the open dissension by backbenchers who are ready to jump onto the One Nation band wagon the issues of the sale of Telstra and the GST have now come home to haunt the shadows of what remain in the Coalition unity. The back benchers have said that they can no longer support these issues either.

One thing is for sure as the National party flag wanes that of One Nation rises.

Bob McMullan, Gareth Evans and the big banking lie

Well, well anything goes in politics or so it would seem - no wonder we call the big parties Laboral.

The two great Labor internationalists McMullan and Evans who represent the big end of town and who were jointly responsible for allowing the Financial Services Industry Agreement (FSIA) to pass in 1995.

At the time of signing the FSIA, this is what McMullan said:

"The financial services agreement will directly benefit Australian banks, insurance companies and securities traders."

Senator McMullan said that in view of the importance of our services sector to the Australian economy and jobs, Australia had been particularly active in the negotiations to secure important access opportunities from our key trading partners, especially those in the region.

The FSIA is about one thing - foreign ownership of our banking industry, and for the foreign bankers like the Rothchilds it has provided the ultimate weapon to destroy Australia's sovereignty.

Today over 80% of Australia's banking industry is foreign owned and while the take-over was happening behind the backs of Aussies some 40,000 bank staff were losing their jobs.

Last year alone 386 bank branches closed - mainly in the rural sector. The top ten shareholders in our big four are now foreigners - and the same foreigners in all four. Talk is of mergers between the big four - how easy - how disastrous for bank staff as duplication of bank branches provides an excellent opportunity for thousands of more jobs to go.

Have you seen a happy bank staff member recently? One who believes he or she has a secure future? The simple answer is no because they don't and they know it.

The move by McMullan and Evans in 1995 to allow foreign interests to take over our banking industry has destroyed the very thing they keep on sprouting on about - jobs. Yes, you know, jobs, work, employment.... how can you trust these politicians whose treachery and open lies are trivialised when they now call for banks to invest Au$10 million into opening branches in the rural sector.

As if they cared. The only thing that they care about is power - power at any cost and that includes sacrificing your job - whoever you are and whatever you do.

Laboral parties unite against the people's party

The email at the bottom of this article carries a very interesting statement... I bet you never thought you'd see the Democrats and Cheryl Kernot (and Jeff Kennett and Bob Carr) listed together!

The fact is that all these parties represent the same thing hidden behind titles and tags. They have absolutely no interest in the mainstream Australian - they are so politicised and bureaucratic that they have all become one and the same - thus Laboral. They dance to the tune of their sponsors - big business and minority groups like the multicultural industry.

When a new party like Pauline Hanson's One Nation arrives to threaten their hallowed status protected by their mates in the media they will do anything to usurp the will of the people. The campaign of vilification against One Nation is quite rampant - the campaign against the party on the Internet reveals some very sick people whose pride and joy is creating obscene and misleading web sites.

These web sites reveal the sick side of political correctness. In our letters below one writer says "Anyone considered forming and registering a "White Anglo Saxon Party" - W.A.S.P. - take a copy of the constitution and press releases from the Indigenous Peoples Party and substitute ONLY the races?"

There is a clear definition between what is acceptable to the media and what is not acceptable. In fact what this definition, or line in the sand, shows is that the media are probably the most racist industry in Australia today. When I say racist I mean "reverse racism".

Can you imagine the outcry if, for example, a WASP was even contemplated in this country! Yet because it is an "indigenous" (black) party that makes it OK as far the media are concerned and not one of these new "level-playing-field" (LPF) politicians raise a murmur - because they know that what I say is right.

Can you imagine the outcry if a web site was created slating Aborigines or the multicultural industry or the Australian Democrats - in the manner that these "sickos" target One Nation - a democratically elected party?

The Laboral parties recognise and strongly play to the anti-populist views in the search for the minority "marginal" votes. One Nation's great and growing support is a recognition by the Australian people of two things:

The web site below appears to be quite innocent at face value - but it clearly displays the lengths to which Laboral will go - sleeping in the same politically correct bed just to gain a few cheap brownie points.

Subject: dynamite petition

I don't know who cabry@dynamite.com.au is but he/she is sending the following e-mail around the 'Net;

"An internet site has been set up to register a protest regarding One Nation's policies. It is being supported by people and groups as diverse as Kim Beazley, Cheryl Kernot, Bob Carr, Jeff Kennett, Peter Collins, NSW Jewish Board of Deputies, National Union of Students, Anti-Discrimination Board of NSW, Australasian Union of Jewish Students, the Democrats, etc.

(I bet you never thought you'd see the Democrats and Cheryl Kernot (and Jeff Kennett and Bob Carr) listed together!)

If you're interested here is the web site

Please pass this on to anyone who may be interested."

How stupid of Cabry to send this garbage to a One Nation supporter. I'll just have to reply with many links to pro One Nation pages. (Who knows??? Cabry may yet see the light.)

regards from
Wags

Making the news" -
an indepth exposé of media and political collusion at the highest possible levels in Australia.

email the editor

You say:

Subject: Indigenous Peoples Party

Hi Scott,

Anyone considered forming and registering a "White Anglo Saxon Party" - W.A.S.P. - take a copy of the constitution and press releases from the Indigenous Peoples Party and substitute ONLY the races?

This could be a huge hoax that would well and truly leave egg on the faces of the people that started screaming racist!

Cheers,
Anthony Mare

Subject: Pies in the sky?

I am sure many of us can relate to Alison's and Martin's comments in Thursday's letters on the 1967 Referendum issue.

This is because I partly heard the radio news and then saw David Oldfield cunningly added on a TV segment as admitting Pauline was wrong. "What's going on here" was probably the common response of ANOTD readers. "We have to wait for tomorrow's ANOTD to get the correct story" was probably another representative response since we have naturally learnt to give Pauline the benefit of the doubt from past experiences.

But its not only Pauline. A friend and colleague was interviewed and his daughter took the trouble to videotape the same interview. When it was broadcast, they had not only re-arranged the questions and answers, but the interviewer had no tie on for some questions which strangely (?) appeared in the broadcast. What arrogance to think it would not be noticed!! This happened to an even closer friend and colleague. His interview was broadcast on the night that Media Watch had a segment on how this trick is done!!

Is it possible to get some of these tricks against PHON onto Media Watch? I have printed out the correct Press Release of the Referendum issue so that friends -- not on the Internet -- may be rung during their lunch hour today and parts quoted from it to reduce any potential anxieties.

But another "Pie in the sky" is the possibility of immediate cleansing of this media pollution. I note that the time recorded on the message was 17.57. I happened not to check last night as others obviously did. Scott, you do an amazing job and one hesitates to ask for more. But could there be a means set up whereby all readers could get quicker rebuttals when such things come up? At first I thought that midday would be a good time until the midday radio news today (Thursday) had something on Newman rubbishing the single mothers' issue (this will backfire since everyone in the community knows otherwise). Alternatively, could you inform us before the evening TV news broadcasts? That is, if a hot issue arises could we have a set time to check for the TRUE story?

Another approach would be if Pauline could supply you with a Press Release or transcript when or before it is broadcast so that we can rebut the misinformation to our own circle of friends... when it arises? Actually, this is an incredibly effective weapon, because, after a while, friends become as discriminating (and thus dedicated to PHON) as we are.

Regards,
Barry M.

Aboriginal voting and the 1967 Referendum

Scott,

Thank you for your information on aboriginal voting. I fully agree with Pauline Hanson point of view, all Australians have the right to vote regardless of colour.

I also agree that all Australians should be treated equally not some being more equal than others.

I also would like to thank you for the information I receive it is very important to me and my staff at work I pass all the misquoted corrections to them, several are also Pauline Hanson Supporters.

Regards
Paul Carroll

Aboriginal voting and the 1967 Referendum

Yes..yet another press beat-up....but it does influence opinions out there...the media is a powerful persuader of people in a society that relies more and more on thirty second grabs to learn about everything that may be going on in the world. The liberal party are well aware of this and use the radio (in Victoria and NSW) to excess. Wait till election time....say around October 1998....then the television hype will hit us once again.

regards: Paul H.

Aboriginal voting and the 1967 Referendum

> "It is often reported that I want to take benefits from Aboriginal people,
> that is not correct and never was correct. It is true many Aboriginal people
> are seriously disadvantaged but they do not have a monopoly on being
> disadvantaged and should not
> be singled out on the basis of race. Everyone should be assisted on the
> basis of need."

Scott

If this is the case, then how come all farmers get the diesel fuel rebate, not only those who are subject to economic hardship? Maybe farmers aren't a 'race', but they are a specific group in Australia. If Pauline is on about assistance on the basis of need, then all assistance, not just assistance to Aboriginal people, should be subject to these constraints.

Tim Hackett

Pauline's Press release on July 15 ..

Scott,

Thanks for the copy of the press release.... And the wording just confirms my view of the incredible bias and manipulation of her words by the printed media and the electronic media.....

How the hell she and the Party keeps going I will never know, what with the lists published by the Jewish Press and Mr Kennett in London &America, liking the Party and its followers to Communists, I am just amazed at the viciousness of the attacks, by all the Media........And it's supposed to be a democracy!.

Still....as my dear old Daddy used to say..

"Any publicity is good publicity"

And it seems she has touched a raw nerve, somewhere, as the Politicians of all persuasions seem to be running very scared.

Well done, she has jolted them out of years of mateship and complacency......

Keep up the good work....

One Nation Supporter in South Aust....

Subject: Aboriginal voting and the 1967 Referendum -Reply

Dear Sir

Concerning the 1967 referendum.

It matters not how far the pendulum swings, nor which direction, nor how hard and fast. In 1967, All Australian Aboriginals deserved to get the right to vote in spite of ANY future consideration.

To be fair, you must admit that your question implies that white Australians may have voted not to allow Aboriginal Australians to vote if it was known at the time that future benefits to the Aboriginals were to be greater than those of the then voters.

If they ( the 1967 voters) had a crystal ball and could look into the future and could see future benefits bestowed on Aboriginal Australians and they then denied these Aboriginal Australians the right to vote because of this knowledge then those White Australian voters (my Mother and Father included) would have been thoroughly wrong to do so and would have bought great shame on themselves, their country and our tradition of justice and fair play.

By now you must have realised that there are other huge unjust holes in our system of Government and Business other than just Aboriginal benefits. Huge bureaucracies wastefully soak up Government money.

Every day sums of money thousands of times what we spend on piddling Aboriginal benefits are ripped off by multi nationals avoiding billions of untaxed dollars through their transfer pricing policies. The oil companies have been doing it for 50 years that I know of with ALL their profits being made by ships registered in places like "MONROVIA" where of course there is NO tax.

The internal poverty caused by this theft means that we are internally bickering about such matters when what we should be doing is solving the real major problem, LACK OF INCOME caused by those who now pay almost nothing.

Once this is fixed, there would be more than enough to send all our children to school and further studies and with twice the benefits and enough to also help our young couples start business' and raise families and buy houses.

Don't get me wrong and think that I underestimate how a battling hard working relatively poor white (black brown or yellow) Australian mum feels when she finds out that her children are to get less than other children. They should not.

My point is that we are reduced to doing this, selectively carving up a pitifully small cake, because thieves have stolen most of our rations.

Whilst we are bickering over what the thieves left us we are not taking the remedial action needed and then seeing that ALL of our kids get ALL the support that they need and get the BEST health care and the BEST food and the BEST housing and the BEST teachers earning TOP pay and conditions. In short paying whatever price we have to pay to make ALL our Aussie kids the best in the world, bar none.

The debits tax would sought the top end of town out real quick. Less or no income tax, no payroll tax and no sales tax, but a tax on money turning over.

Regards,
Noel Lewis
Mildly Critical Supporter still

Aboriginal voting and the 1967 Referendum

She was not misrepresented Scott, she clearly stated that the referendum gave the Abo's the right to vote, when it clearly didn't. That was the gist of her error and, having read and seen a fair bit of the relevant media in the last day or two, that is what the media concentrated on. Don't fall into the trap of our average politicians who avoid the issue and try and get out of something by drawing attention to something else. If a mistake is made, admit it, and get on with the job. THAT'S credibility - if you do the right thing about the mistake, you won't lose credibility for making the mistake in the first instance.

Nick

Launch of One Nation at Dandenong

With all the problems with the rent a crowd protesters who throw eggs ect, why not you form your own "Protection Squad".

I have read the histories of the Nazi Party fighting with the Communists in the 1920s-30s and the fighting that went on at the European Political rallies in the 70s and 80.

In these incidents all participants have had a strong arm of the party whos job is to attend the oppositions meetings and disrupt them, as is happening with your meetings.

They also have the role of providing protection at their own rallies to take care of the opposition parties who attempt to disrupt things.

If thumping the people who throw objects is not called for, a video camera of the main offenders to be handed over to the Police for prosecution would save the same purpose.

I am not a member of one nation but I agree with a fair bit of what you say, god luck at the Election.

Cheers Ed ROBINSON

Aboriginal voting and the 1967 Referendum

Dear Scott

If you could help me to find out the URL of the Political Discussion on line Chat which was recently hacked, I would be very grateful as I deleted my bookmarks when the sites were down.

Also in your latest email I noticed the reference to 1.5% loans for aboriginals starting a business. I know prominent aboriginal speakers have appeared on national television and stated that no aboriginal has access to low interest loans. However I know this to be yet another lie by the aboriginal people as I was once married to one, and we had a home loan through ATSIC which at the time started at 5%, fixed for the first 3 years, then increasing 0.5% per annum up to a maximum of 1% lower than the current market rate. At that time the market rate was around 13%.

Adding to the lies now our children are having lies forced upon them in our schools. The aboriginals were Nomadic Hunter-Gatherer's with no stable central location from which to develop a society and a societies cultures. Now they would have us believe that they hearded kangaroo's in order to have a stable food source, from which they would have been able to remain stable and develop societies, thereby maximising their claim for compensation due to lost cultures. I have never seen a race of people collectively so willing to lie about their heritage to pursue financial gain. I certainly hope that One Nation will stop the lies being taught to our children in public schools. Every aboriginal person I have ever met has a chip on their shoulder about "White Man", but I'm not going to have my children growing up believing that they owe them something, or even feeling sorry for them.

Subject: Alleged Beazley link to Hanson Demonstrations

Why for people who are so against the 'biased' press do you rely on them so much for sources as fact.

Merely because you can get to left link after clicking a few times from the ALP's home page seems to me tenuous in the extreme.

I suggest you keep cheering for the present because no matter how many times she is proved wrong on facts and then admits this she rises further in the polls. This may not last. Any person who Ray Martin can so do over can only have a limited future.

How come the far left and the far right are so close in views these days? I suspect it is because they all need conspiracy theories to survive.

Having said all that it is an enjoyable page. It is a pity that she appears so limited in intellectual content.

Name not supplied

Subject: Fw: 'Politicians must be answerable'

For your information, here is a copy of a letter which I have addressed to the Editor of the West Australian newspaper. Supplementary circulation is 'blind' to protect those contacts. My statements are amply documented and supported by past and present members of the Australian Democrats.

Brian Jenkins
(Former AD Divisional Secretary, WA)
Resigned in July, 1993 over illegal, unconstitutional and undemocratic actions of the AD National Executive