Australian National

(anotd)
Saturday 4th July 1998

This on-line paper is now archived for perpetuity in the National Library of Australia

Subscriber's password check (have your subscription number handy)
Subscribers get free access to the monthly "The Strategy" on-line from April 1998.

Recent stories exclusive to  (how to) subscribe/rs of the Australian National News of the Day now at the bottom of this page.

"ON NOW" weekly abbreviated anotd fax-back - Updated every Friday afternoon.
Dial: 1902 211037 and follow the instructions.

(Note: costs 0.75 c per minute will be billed to your phone account under "ON NOW NEWS LETTER")

Current topical links (available to all readers):
[Links to the MAI]
[One Nation on-line DISCUSSION forum] [One Nation Federal Web Site]
Archive of weekly features (available to all readers):
[The Canberra Column] [Economic Rationalism]

Today's Headlines
an Aussie's viewpoint on Australia's first daily Internet newspaper.
Since October 1995

Tony Abbott's lies in parliament

On Thursday morning I received a phone call from a man claiming to be from the Parliamentary library staff in Canberra.

He asked me where he could get a copy of One Nation's constitution. I advised him to contact David Ettridge at the Manly office. What resulted was my name being raised in The Lower House of Federal Parliament that day in which Mr Abbott states, "... I approach a person described as One Nation's constitutional officer. When asked for a copy of the constitution, the gentleman in question, Scott Balson, said, "I only look after the web page. You will have to ask David Ettridge."

There you go folks, I wear a number of hats - now including that of "constitutional officer!"

Now that you know the credibility of Tony Abbott read on and judge for yourself the credibility of one Peter Charlton.

Murdoch's number one "intellectual prostitute raises his ugly face again.

One thing that I have learnt is not to believe the small 2 by 2 photos of journalists that sometimes appear alongside the title of an article in the newspapers. The picture used by Margo Kingston in the Sydney Morning Herald, for example, must have preceded Noah's flood. However, the one used by Mr Peter Charlton would have required, I believe, a large amount of dedicated and careful touching up.

Having met Charlton in a case in which I took the Courier Mail to the Australian Press Council earlier this year I was quite surprised at how ugly this man actually is. Not just in looks but in personality, a personality which glares out at you with hatred... maybe he has been in the profession too long? Who knows, who cares.

However, today, Mr Charlton's lead article in the Courier Mail headed "One Man's Notion" is a classic in 'do what I say, not do what I do'. In the article he states "The effect is to suggest an open, democratic party with popular support. Yet the reality of One Nation is quite different."

A few weeks ago Charlton sent me an email threatening me with a number of legal actions. This email is show below: