Friday 9th April 1999

This on-line paper is now archived for perpetuity in the National Library of Australia

Subscriber's password check (have your subscription number handy)
Subscribers get free access to the monthly "The Strategy" on-line from April 1998.

Recent stories exclusive to  (how to) subscribe/rs of the Australian National News of the Day now at the bottom of this page.

Current topical links (available to all readers):
[Links to the MAI]
[One Nation on-line DISCUSSION forum] [One Nation Web Site]
HAVE YOU ORDERED:
[MURDER BY MEDIA, DEATH OF DEMOCRACY IN AUSTRALIA]

from an Aussie's viewpoint on Australia's first daily Internet newspaper.
Since October 1995

One Nation - two years on

To celebrate the first two years of One Nation check out these links:

ONE NATION SUCCESS SHAKES MAJOR PARTIES.

One Nation's show of force in a second state poll has shaken the major parties and provoked new recriminations. "Frankly I am (concerned), National Party deputy federal leader John Anderson said today.

"It's a powerful reminder to us all - not just the politicians, but to all Australians - that our rural and regional cousins are very concerned about the outlook for them and their young people."

He said the around 7 per cent of the votes that swung to One Nation in New South Wales was made all the more amazing by the party's implosion in the Queensland parliament where six out of 11 PMs have abandoned the fledgling party in less than a year.

"People will be rather amazed to see that One Nation may have one and possibly two spots there (in the NSW upper house) when you consider how badly it's gone in Queensland," Mr Anderson told journalists.

"I'm obviously disappointed to see there are still significant numbers of people who think (One Nation) have answers because I don't think they do. I think their answers would do more damage to rural Australia ... than anybody else's policy."

One Nation's certainty for the upper house David Oldfield today targeted what he called the club mentality and political correctness of the parliament.

"There is a club mentality relating to the Liberal, Labor, Democrats, Greens when it comes to looking after themselves and when it comes to things like super and their pay and trips that they get," he told AAP. Opposition Leader Kim Beazley said the level of support for One Nation, which polled up to 18 per cent of the vote in some rural seats, was the only downside in a landslide victory for Labor.

"It means the politics of hate now enters the Legislative Council of NSW; that's a very bad thing indeed," Mr Beazley told Channel 10.

He said the National Party, which lost two seats, was fading in the bush but rural NSW voters were turning to Labor and then independents before One Nation.

"That's not unwelcome, but what is unwelcome is the extent that that third reflected a fairly substantial vote," Mr Beazley said.

Australian Democrats Leader Meg Lees attributed the extent of One Nation support to a multi-million dollar advertising campaign that her party could not afford to match.

"They had an enormous war chest and from what I saw in Queanbeyan (near Canberra), they've spent millions of dollars on a television advertising and that has an impact," Senator Lees said.

"That scare campaign seems to have had an effect in rural NSW." Queensland Premier Peter Beattie said One Nation had again sucked the conservative vote in.

"Their vote in NSW was better than a lot of people thought," Mr Beattie said.

"The bush is burning in New South Wales, it's burning in Queensland, it's burning with anger that the National Party has betrayed them." But Mr Anderson denied the election result spelt success for Labor in the bush.

"The fact of the matter is the electors of NSW plainly do no believe Labor has any of the answers, there are very serious and very real problems in rural and regional Australia," Mr Anderson said. "But more people are looking to the National Party for answers than are looking to either the independents or One Nation or Labor."

Nationals De-Anne Kelly stands alone

De-Anne Kelly is being pushed by several of her National party colleagues to leave the party following her call for members to stand against the sale of Telstra.

This brave lady stands alone amongst the gutless wonders who only represent the Cabinet room and the Coalition's big business partners.

"If they (the Liberals) want to play international politics and make a name for themselves, that's up to them," she told reporters.

Queensland Liberal Peter Slipper, a parliamentary secretary said, "Her comments are shameless, amount to political treason and mimic the bankrupt ideas of the Labor party."

Meanwhile Labor Communication spokesman Stephen Smith said, "In recent days we've seen De-Anne slip a note under Senator Harradine's door pleading with him not to allow the further privatisation of Telstra. She's right."

It is palpable nonsense to sell a fast growing asset at this stage and I applaud De-Anne's stand against the gutless wonders. Meanwhile Blair Liberal MP Cameron Thompson (who ousted Hanson through preferences) stands solidly behind the sale.

Consider this statement by the World Trade Organisation's chief, Renato Ruggerio,

  "With this agreement, the WTO has completed a remarkable year. In 1997, our members agreed on an historic global pact on telecommunications encompassing more than 95% of the global telecommunications market; they agreed to remove all tariffs on information technology products, one of the fastest growing sectors of the global economy; and they agreed, through the High Level Meeting of Least Developed Countries, on a path which will give important impetus to the integration of the world's poorest lands into the multilateral trading system..."

Then understand who is driving the sale of Telstra - and it is not our government. Consider what the WTO had done to our banking industry through the FSIA.

AUSTRALIA: PEOPLE'S BANK TO RIVAL THE 'BIG FOUR'.

A "people's bank" to rival Australia's "big four" may soon become a reality. All 177 New South Wales (NSW) local government councils are expected to vote in April 1999 on whether to withdraw $A4 billion of investments from the existing banks - ANZ, Commonwealth, National and Westpac. The money would be invested in a banking network the NSW Local Government Association (LGA) wants to have operating, possibly by the end of 1999. The new bank could be established using the $A4 billion now managed by the mainstream banks. In 1998, the councils set up a task force to examine the plan's feasibility following complaints by residents of the constant bank branch closures by the "big four". Since 1996, 315 metropolitan bank branches and 174 rural branches have been closed across NSW. A report will be submitted to the LGA's State assembly on 13 April when recommendations are due to be announced. The new bank is expected to offer a wide range of financial services.

Australian arrested for "defaming the dead"

Dr Fredrick Toben, Director of Adelaide Institute, operating a revisionist Website in Australia, was arrested in Germany on 8th April,1999 on a charge of "defaming the memory of the dead" and will be sentenced tomorrow (9th April,1999)

I understand that Toben was visiting Auschwitz.

Email below relayed from Bob in the US: