Tuesday 23rd March 1999

This on-line paper is now archived for perpetuity in the National Library of Australia

Subscriber's password check (have your subscription number handy)
Subscribers get free access to the monthly "The Strategy" on-line from April 1998.

Recent stories exclusive to  (how to) subscribe/rs of the Australian National News of the Day now at the bottom of this page.

Current topical links (available to all readers):
[Links to the MAI]
[One Nation on-line DISCUSSION forum] [One Nation Web Site]
HAVE YOU ORDERED:
[MURDER BY MEDIA, DEATH OF DEMOCRACY IN AUSTRALIA]

from an Aussie's viewpoint on Australia's first daily Internet newspaper.
Since October 1995

Another One Nation policy snaffled by the major parties.

The One Nation policies decried by The Courier-Mail and others as "racist and simplistic" seem to be good enough for the other major parties and when used are lauded by the media masters.

State cabinet yesterday approved the establishment of the State Penalties Enforcement Registry (SPER).

The new body will target fine defaulters - trying to keep them out of jail - reducing prison numbers.

Sound familiar? well read on. SPER will have the authority to garnishee wages and direct debit accounts. Jackpot - that is exactly what One Nation put forward as policy before the last Queensland state election.

Of course the prominent front page Courier-Mail article makes absolutely no mention of the fact that the new "simplistic" policy direction being proposed by Labor originates from One Nation.

Now why should be surprised?

The Courier-Mail and my right of reply

@notd readers might recall that my right of reply to The Courier-Mail's biased report (published Monday last week) "Web of Hate" was only published on Friday - despite having being sent to the paper on Monday.  The "Web of Hate" article quotes Jeremy Jones, a senior editor in that extremist Australia/Israel Review publication, makes untrue claims and allegations about the @notd.

Today I can reveal that The Courier-Mail only published the right of reply after being contacted by the Australian Press Council following my complaint to the APC.

Yesterday I received the following letter dated 18th March from the Australian Press Council:

Dear Mr Balson,

The Council has received your complaint form on 15 March in which you raise a concern with material published in The Courier-Mail.

I enclose an adjudication in which the Council makes clear its attitude to the need for comment to be sought for a particular article. You will see that the Council believes that where a newspaper is clearly sourcing a comment to a particular person on a matter of public interest there is no absolute need for the newspaper to seek a balancing comment for the article in question.

Have you submitted a letter to the Courier-Mail for publication in response to the published material? The Council has consistently said that the best response to concerns such as yours is the submission of a contrary view for publication. If the newspaper does not provide the opportunity for such a response then the complainant is in a better position to press a complaint against the newspaper.

I therefore urge you to take this matter up direct with the newspaper in the first instance, if you have not already. If you cannot achieve satisfaction in this way, you can then bring the matter to the Council as a formal complaint. I will write to the newspaper urging it to give due consideration to any submitted letter as way of dealing with your concern.

I will await your further advice on this matter.

Yours sincerely,

Jack R Herman.

Herman contacted The Courier Mail on Thursday 18th March and the paper published my right of reply the next day...

What this raises is the importance of using the Australian Press Council.

As the Council is now on-line I will be publishing two key Internet links for @notd readers and I would encourage readers to exercise their rights liberally and report all events of bias. Let us remember that most Australians are not aware of their rights to this mediator - let us get the ball rolling and make it clear, through rising complaints, that something is very, very wrong with the Australian media.

Paul Keating's pig pen

The Coalition Cabinet has ordered an investigation into Paul Keating's piggery deals asking attorney general Darryl Williams to advise on the allegations.

Yesterday Paul Keating told the media that Channel 9's 60 Minutes had not advertised the programme before it went to air because they feared an injunction.

"60 Minutes has relied on an embittered and inaccurate account of business transactions by a former business partner of mine. 60 Minutes knew it could not prove the allegations."

60 Minutes confirmed that they feared an injunction - from the Commonwealth Bank because of a confidentiality clause in a document aired in the broadcast.

"We are confident we have overwhelming evidence in support of every allegation made on the programme," he said.

Labor leader Kim Beazley said, "As far as his own private interests are concerned, those are, like anybody else, matters for us to defend and to argue on our own terms in our own way."

What is particularly interesting to me in light of Packer's 60 Minutes "A Call to Arms" programme a week before the Queensland State election is the timing of this report which took nine months to put together.

You see New South Wales voters go to the polls this Saturday- and Labor are expected to walk in. The Programme puts a very shady slant over the Labor party and its upper echelons. If one was cynical one would wonder who in Labor has upset Kerry Packer?

Making the news" -
an indepth exposé of media and political collusion at the highest possible levels in Australia.

email the editor

Interracial Marriages

I thank David Morgan for his apologies regarding his controversial letter to Do Peng. I must admit that my views on mixed racial marriages are not too different from David's opinion. I just believe, as I have said before, condescending remarks between different races is counterproductive in generating racial harmony.

Charlton Heston's article from Monday's news was most impressive. I am sure Martin Luther King, Jr. would be shocked if he were to know the state of race relations today, now more than thirty years after his death. His comment that: "Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." is just as true today.

Sadly, the "politically correct" have killed Dr King's dream, here below:

"I have a dream… that my four little children, will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the colour of their skin but by the content of their character."

I agree with Heston that there is no reason why whites should not have pride in their race as blacks do. However, we must be sure to keep this pride in proportion, as history's events have shown racial pride can lead to the most horrific forms of other races genocide. Having participated in the civil rights movement, I have no concern with Heston's motives.

I am 26 years old and still not married. Although, I prefer women racially similar to me, I would certainly not rule out marriage to any other race if I were to fall in love. As much as the "politically correct" bleat, they will not change most people's natural preference for a particular race or culture. I'm a little bit racially mixed anyway; namely, English, Irish, Spanish, German, in fact a bit of a sprinkling from a lot of Europe. It's not highly important to me whether some people choose racially mixed marriages or not, although, I agree with David Morgan that it would be tragic to destroy all races into the one big racial melting pot. If the "politically correct" were true to their word that no one should racially discriminate, within a few generations there would be little left of their cherished racial diversity. The most important thing is happiness in the marriage regardless of what racial mix exists between husband and wife.

Jeremy Beck

Despite the biased and illogical tripe the Courier-Mail spewed out on Saturday about this page I am delighted that @notd readers have shown a level of maturity and interest on the issues that have evolved from Do Peng's anti-white letter.

The views that Jeremy and all others have expressed on issues like mixed marriage is what makes this such an important forum - not for racists or anti-Semites but for thinking Australians.

Editor

On'ya Chuck

Dear Scott

Wow, what a wonderful speech from Charlton Heston "Winning the Cultural War". Thanks for making it available, Scott. It says all the things we are trying to say about Australia, and which One Nation has stood for since its establishment nearly two years ago. All we need to do is to substitute Australia and Australian place names, and the situation described by Heston could (unfortunately) have been describing us.

In the last week I have submitted one letter to the C-M and another to our more local paper in Toowoomba, expressing views similar to Heston's on subjects like race and homosexuality, but so far, neither has been published. It's reassuring to know the fight against rampant political correctness is being fought on a global scale (one of the good things about globalism), but desparately worrying to know that it is crippling the minds of people the world over, not just in Australia. When, oh when, are we going to grow up and behave like mature people, not ignorant uncultured sheep?

Clearly we have a major fight on our hands, But as suggested by Heston in his speech, we do have it in our power to do something about the problem, without breaking the law - it only takes commitment, and a determination not to take the easy way out and just say it's all too hard.

Avril Baynes

Where your taxes go

Last year I reported that the federal government counter-signed a $750,000 grant for a survey of Australians' sex lives from the National Health and Medical Research Council. Remember? The survey's chief investigators justified the peeping tom survey claiming that it would play a "crucial role" in helping to improve the sexual health and well-being of the nation.

Too bad about the economic health and well-being of the nation.

Well, the NHMRC are at it again. They have funded a UNE School of Health project on male sex workers. The project was conducted in collaboration with the Sex Workers Outreach Project in Sydney, the Prostitutes Collective in Victoria, and the Self-Health Queensland Workers in the Sex Industry. It was conducted as a means to help policy makers and health educators better understand the needs of male sex workers.

Most people would think research into diseases affecting the general population should have a higher priority than understanding the needs of male sex workers.

Antonia

Are perceptions everything?

Dear Editor,

Is it a case of perception? How will the viewers and amongst them the voters of NSW perceive the hidden agenda in 60 minutes expose of one of Labor`s scintillating national stars and the former world`s greatest Treasurer? What was the relevance of an in depth discussion of a financial obsession just one week before the NSW State election?

Politically Perhaps Predominant Perceptions Pervade and that is possibly particularly true of the situation in respect of that group of frequently fiercely feuding factions known collectively as the Australian Labor Party, whose memories are long and natures are unforgiving. The revival of adverse publicity about the financial activities of a certain Paul J. Keating by Kerry Packer's Nine Network Television programme Sixty Minutes just a week before the intended re-election of a Right-wing Labor Administration in Paul Keating's State of New South Wales may well tip the scales in favour of a Liberal-led takeover of the Treasury Benches. Should Packer Inc. be preparing for a rough ride when Labor gets back control of the Federal government as the Party faithfuls delight in imposing all and any penalties they can on a family that is perceived to have used its massive electronic media power and influence unfairly?

A delay of seven days in the screening of this programme would have avoided the difficulty for Labor as the Liberals have been effectively denying themselves government by promising big (temporary?) benefits funded from the proceeds of sale of public utilities.

What is the underlying reason for such an expose? Is there any reason for Mr Beasley`s visions of policy? The right-wing`s, especially Mr Brereton`s possible push as future leadership material?

There have been recent major newspaper articles on the good leadership of Mr Keating. His brilliant witticisms in parliamentary debate! Is this an irrational longing from the Canberra press gallery to have something quoteable for their columns. No more zing in the zest. Let 60 minutes do the running now that the ABC has been virtually totally emasculated?

Sincerely,
J o n M. A x t e n s

Political advertising

Dear Scott,

todays Courier Mail carries a headline"Govt ads cost more than Coke's" and it is important to reflect on this massive spending by the Liberal party 'bother boys" - because a lot of this money was spent blunting the One Nation push.

The article goes on to say "The controversial tax reform imformation campaign, which had a budget blowout frim $5 million to $19 million, was as much as Pepsi's annual advertizing budget".

Let's be quite straight about this the GST is an evil and satinic tax one that taxes from the poor and let's the rich off the hook, a sort of inverted Robin Hood.

If you are unhappy about taxpayer funded political advertizing then complain to your local politicians especially if they are Liberal and National fat cats.

Sincerely,
Tony Price

Subject: Is @notd 'Out of Date' or is "GH" 'Out of Touch'?

'GH' in yesterday's @notd continues the tradition of those critics of One Nation Party who maintain(hope?) that they have already disintegrated/imploded. Such a position, on closer scrutiny, is revealed as foolish, asinine and illogical

>I read your web page...such a pity that is way out of date.

Perhaps you're just out-of-touch and/or have been brainwashed by the mainstream media. Where do you get your facts from? 'Sixty Minutes', 'A Current Affair', the Packer/Murdoch press or 'BabeWatch'?

>Could we please put on there that Pauline was rejected by the voters
>at the next election.

Thatz the _last_ election I presume? I guess you've conveniently overlooked the facts that:[a]Hanson was about 20,000 primary votes up on her nearest rival in the Seat of Blair. She was only 'beaten' by blatant gerrymandering and back-room preferencing deals(and would have required 51% of the Primary vote to take the seat: an impossible task that, as far as I know, _no_ candidate in the history of the Commonwealth of Australia has achieved) [b]the average, overall primary vote of the Coalition plummeted (courtesy of disaffected One Nation Party members) while the primary vote of the Labor Party _did not increase_ overall. Basically, the situation was that:[i]the Coalition lost 80%+ of their seats because of One Nation voting against the incumbents(and now has _over 30_ marginal seats to defend) and [ii]the seats ganined by the Labor Party were courtesy of One Nation Party preferences;

>How bout the One Nation members of the Legislative Assmebly in
>Queensland that have resigned and are sitting as Independents.

Well: what about them? Some (sitting)members resign from One Nation Queensland branch? So what? [i]how many members(sitting or OTW) have resigned from the Laborals over the last 10 years or so? [ii]I suppose One Nation should have dropped fully-formed out of the heavens? _Every_ political party that has ever existed has had initial 'teething' troubles(even so-called 'revolutionary' ones....not forgetting, either, that One Nation Party doesn't receive multi-million dollar 'donations' from multinational companies to 'pour oil on troubled waters' and sort its problems out); [iii]the selection process for the Qlnsnd candidates may well have been hasty and ill-informed. One of the sitting members simply resigned because he 'couldn`t handle the pressure'. Clearly, this particular individual wasn't suited for politics to start with. Whatever, the Qlnsnd experience has ensured that One Nation Party will be stronger, more cohesive and more robust in the future. Everyone learns from their mistakes...even the Laborals!

>And also the most important...One Nation has never been nor will
>ever be a force in politics in Australia. The majority of
>Australians will not sit back and see a minority espouse diatribe of
>racism and selective policies based on peoples origins and colours.

So 1 million+ (10+%)[and thatz 1 million _despite_ all the dirty tricks, back-room deals and blatantly biased 'politically correct' dictatorship of the mainstream media] of the electorate is just gunna disappear, right?

One Nation Party is a _force to be reckoned with_. They are the THIRD BIGGEST POLITICAL PARTY in Oz today. Bigger than the Greens, bigger than the Democrats and BIGGER than the Nationals. *Unfortunately, most people probably get their facts from the likes of 'Sixty Minutes', 'A Current Affair' and the 'Packer/Murdoch' press. (an un-informed debate is _no_ debate) With the increasing growth of the Internet, _thatz_ changing...even as I type this!(thus the worried attacks by the likes of the Courier- Mail on Scott's Web Pg). Of course, just overlook the fact that One Nation has gone from 0 to 1million+ in less than three years. Never let the facts get in the way of a good, unreasoning bias!

>As a matter of fact, One Nation is not an apt name for the party as
>most of us have no inclination to be a part of the nation that this
>party talks about. The sooner One Nation disappears from this
>country the better. It is just one of the biggest blights in our
>short history that can be imagined.

See above: OTW, I couldn't be bothered answering this particular bit of mindless crap....except to say: the sooner the Laborals disappear from the political landscape, the better. They've been one of the biggest blights on this country since the Prickly Pear, the Rabbit Explosion and the Cane Toad Invasion[!]

cheers!
(jimbo)

from the global office:

Another perfect day in paradise.

Have a good one.

Search Engine Boosters!
This Ring Name site is owned by One Nation.

Want to join the One Nation ring?

[Skip Prev] [Prev] [Next] [Skip Next] [Random] [Next 5] [List Sites]

exclusive to  (how to) subscribe/rs of the Australian National News of the Day:

Inverell 1999 - 15th March 1999
Pauline Hanson in Penrith - 5th March 1999
One Nation 1999 AGM - 28th February 1999
"Murder by Media" withdrawn by Dymocks bookstores - 13th February 1999
One Nation "split" - 6th February 1999
Paff and the red light - 3rd February 1999
Launch of "Murder by Media, Death of Democracy in Australia" - 22nd to 24th January 1999
One Nation's Queensland State Conference - 27th to 29th November 1998
Dual Citizenship and politicians- 20th November 1998
Where Prize Turkeys Gather - 17th November 1998

Return to Australian National News of the Day

#

Web development, design, and storage by Global Web Builders - Email: global@gwb.com.au

See GLOBE International for other world news.

anotd