Today's Headlines
an Aussie's viewpoint on Australia's first daily Internet newspaper.
Since October 1995

Wednesday 9th July 1997

Associated links:
Search entire news archive by day
Search entire news archive by text
Definitive Lifestyle Guide to over 5000 Australian webs
Global Web Builders Gold
The Kid's Locker Room
World Wide Websters

International:

Yesterday I told how the meeting for the convicted terrorist Ervin was called off because the organiser, Phil Dickinson, could not be reached by the West End Migrant Centre to collect the key.

Last night Australian television showed a motley mob sitting outside the migrant centre with one Phil Dickinson claiming that they had been "locked out" because of Pauline Hanson's reaction to Ervin's visit.

What a load of "you know what".

Talking about Ervin, he has been locked up in a high security cell in Brisbane and will be deported if the Federal Court support an Immigration Department request following the cancellation of his visitor visa yesterday.

Senator Vanstone said yesterday, "The Government is most concerned that the integrity of Australia's entry systems are not undermined by the entry or stay of people who are not of good character."

A report on the launch of One Nation last night in Canberra is now on-line. We hope to have the Dandenong launch pictures of the outrageous incident (in which a guest was beaten up by thugs while leaving that meeting).

The man with Federal ambitions, the Mayor of Brisbane, Jim Soorley, has muddied the name of Senator Mal Colston according to the senator after being drawn into the debate over "Lord Mayor Jim Soorley's World Study Tour".

Colston was appalled to find that his name had been used in a "less than complimentary manner" when the opposition told a press conference that Cr Soorley was behaving like "the Mal Colston of local politics".

Pauline Hanson last night described opponents of her One Nation political party as "political terrorists" on Channel 9's A Current Affair program.

Ms Hanson said that eggs and urine-filled condoms were hurled at One Nation supporters who came to the Dandenong launch of her party.

"The violence is getting worse - I admit to that - and all are political terrorists. It is an organised organisation," Ms Hanson said.

"I'm not going to say to people 'don't come', because if I say that, well then, these people have got away with what they are trying to do - to incite their violence on to others to get their point across."

David Ettridge said last night, "The police should start arresting some of these people, especially their leaders, who are inciting this sort of civil disobedience."

What is interesting is how quiet the Labor and Liberal party leaders are in the face of this attack on democracy in Australia.

Pauline Hanson's One Nation Official home page.

Political:

Article from page 6 of today's Queensland Times:

Political intrigue on the net

An Ipswich computer expert wants people to examine the political allegiances of anti-Hanson groups following his study of links on the Internet.

Scott Balson, whose Karana Downs company Interactive Presentations maintains two official sites for the Federal Member for Oxley, said that while many people were quick to point out alleged links between Ms Hanson’s One Nation Party and right wing groups such as the League of Rights, attention was not given to the link between anti-Hanson protesters and left wing groups.

He stressed that he was not speaking for political reasons, but for concerns for freedom of speech.

Mr Balson said that he had discovered in his work that the Brisbane Anti-Racist Campaign’s (ARC) protest outside Ms Hanson’s Gold Coast One Nation launch last week had been promoted by Leftlink a Victorian based left-wing coalition.

Mr Balson said in a statement last week that ARC protesters belonged to Leftlink, whose web site listed links to a range of groups including lesbian and gay mailing lists, the Communist Party of Australia, Sinn Fein and various trade union bodies in Australia and overseas.

Mr Balson said that the protest at Ms Hanson’s Gold Coast One Nation party launch had been small until a fleet of protesters, including those from Brisbane, had arrived by bus.

‘The 900 people who attended the launch of One Nation... were decent concerned Australian citizens who fear for the future of their children under the current status quo of Labor and Liberal dishonesty and deceit,’ Mr Balson said in a statement.

‘The 200-odd protesters outside were, largely, the sort of people that I, as a parent, would be most concerned about having my children associate with under any circumstances.’

Mr Balson said that the current visit to Australia by former Black Panther Lorenzo Ervin, who was detained last night pending deportation, had also been promoted on Leftlink.

Prime Minister John Howard yesterday promised to shorten jobless queues and to bring in reforms to help small business.

"..we are laying in the foundation for a fall in the level of unemployment during the course of next year because when you get the economy right... you know that you are laying the foundation for a fundamentally stronger economy," he said.

Speaking on interest rates Howard said, "I would like to see them still lower and I will bet every one of you in small business would like to see them even lower."

email the editor

You say:

One from gil.users regarding the launch of One Nation at Dandenong:

I suppose all the anti-Hanson supporters out there are feeling really proud of themselves at the moment. I mean, they are a really intelligent bunch, aren't they?? Who else but an intelligent bunch of people could get a couple of hundred of their mates and go out for a good time, all together.

And what a social bunch they are too. All standing around singing and chanting and with the extra fun of pelting innocent people, going about their business, with fruit and eggs and balloons filled with urine. And then when they all thought the fun had come to an end they got the extra special benefit of beating the crap out of a 59 year old man and then kicking him into unconsciousness while he was on the ground.

They are truly funtime hero's, aren't they?? It was too bad that someone happened to bring their kid along and he joined in the fun that the other adults were showing him, now he has an arrest record.

The next night was another *big* party with all the same singing and chanting, but mongrel cops had to try and break up their fun. Shame on them for arresting that guy for spitting on one of them, that was part of the fun.

[Sarcastic grimace off]

These low-lifes make me want to puke. And the same goes for anyone that condones or agrees with what those scum are doing. I believe that it is the right of everyone to have freedom of speech. Those animals do not deserve that right for what they have done, but do deserve the right to be treated for what they are, rabid animals.

Peter

We should mention that LEFT LINK published the following:

Leftlinkers may be interested to see how Pauline Hanson's One Nation Party depicts the Left in general and Leftlink in particular.

  See http://www.gwb.com.au/gwb/news/onenation/gold
                      and
  http://www.gwb.com.au/gwb/news/head.html  (6 & 7 July in particular)

  *-*-* -*-*-* -*-*-* -*-*-* -*-*-*-*-*-*-* -*-*-* -*-*-* -*-*-* -*-*-*
  *            LEFTLINK - the list for Victoria's Broad Left          *
  *                http://www.alexia.net.au/~www/mhutton/             *
  *  Address to post messages to Leftlink:    Leftlink@vicnet.net.au  *
  *  Address to join or leave Leftlink:       majordomo@vicnet.net.au *
  *  To join Leftlink write:    subscribe leftlink your-email-address *
  *  To leave Leftlink write: unsubscribe leftlink your-email-address *
  *-*-* -*-*-* -*-*-* -*-*-* -*-*-*-*-*-*-* -*-*-* -*-*-* -*-*-* -*-*-*

Resulting in the following:

Subject: This site......

This site is a pure example of the anachronistic imbroglio that is Pauline Hanson and her "One Nation" party. With referances to the "aboriginal hooligan protesters" and "yellow-bellies" which opposed the rhetoric of Ms Hanson and those like her, this site has clearly embodied the ignorance, the inacurracies and the blatant lies that form the basis of the "One Nation" movement.

Like the Klu Klux Klan, like the Nazis, and like all other supremists before her, Ms Hanson speaks of the abolition of multi-culturalism, and thus the abolition of other cultures in Australia. She speaks of "preferential" treatment toward aboriginals (a race only last year designated "THIRD WORLD" by the United Nations Council) and then clearly creates false statistics in an attempt to justify her slander and lies.

She criticises at random. Aborigines, asians, homosexuals, youth, other nations, the United Nations, even single parents (a category in which she herself is a member) have all been targets of her ignorance at one stage or another. Her criticism continues all the while never offering solutions, never offering policies.

I do not "hate" Ms Hanson, nor do I have any feeling of hostility toward her. However, it sadens me to see this once great nation crumble because of the fears, the lies, the ignorance and the shallowness of Ms Hanson and "One Nation."

Zack Ryan

Subject: Misinformation

G'day,

Your diatribe about "Left Link" fails to mention the huge variety of groups who post messages there. These groups include Churches opposed to work for the dole, welfare organisations, unions and groups representing many many thousands of Australians. No one group posting messages is necessarily associated in any way with any other. It's as mind bogglingly stupid to suggest this as it would be to suggest that anyone who sends a message on the internet is a Zionist because Jewish groups send messages on the internet.

Conspiracy theories only reduce the relevence and believabiliy of groups such as one nation.

I'm surprised any company would associate with a group whose existence relies on generating fear and promulgating simple solutions to complex problems. All intelligent Australians will reject your propaganda as ridiculous.

Chris.

Subject: Launch of One Nation on the Gold Coast

After reading your "commentary" (for want of a better term for it) I am genuinely repulsed by One Nation. I was someone who was curious as to whether One Nation really was being victimised and misrepresented by the media, but now, after reading that, I feel that the media is too soft.

You've made no attempt whatsoever to present a fair and balanced argument - rather, you use the ability your server gives you to slander, smear and present childish and petty insults based on physical appearance.

Surely you must be aware that wherever One Nation has met, protesters have outnumbered supporters, yet you do not mention this. There are so many other things you do not mention that are known to be true.

You will probably claim that I am not a mainstream Australian. Yet the evidence would tend to suggest that if there is any such thing as a mainstream Australian, many One Nation party organisers would not represent them either.

Sincerely,
Alister Air

And here is Left Link's latest contribution: