Today's Headlines
an Aussie's viewpoint on Australia's first daily Internet newspaper.
Since October 1995

This on-line paper is now archived for perpetuity in the National Library of Australia

Tuesday 9th September 1997
Associated links:
Search entire news archive by day
Search entire news archive by text
Definitive Lifestyle Guide to over 5000 Australian webs
Global Web Builders Gold
The Kid's Locker Room
World Wide Websters

International:

Pauline Hanson has rejected native title completely and would vote with the National Party against the Government's proposed Wik legislation David Oldfield said yesterday.

Ms Hanson met several senior National Party back benchers last week to seek support amendments to the Bill.

"Pauline is completely opposed to John Howard's 10 point Wik plan," Oldfield said.

"Pauline has a one point Wik plan - get rid of it.

"She will be voting against the concept of native title and I know of other Nationals who feel the same," Oldfield said, "She had discussions last week with them last week."

One of the National's Senators, Bill O'Chee, said yesterday that he was confident that several amendments would be made to the legislation before its passage through Parliament.

"We were told that there weren't going to be any changes to the legislation before but we've succeeded in getting changes," O'Chee said.

It was a day of momentary glory for former Hanson adviser John Pasquarelli yesterday. Pasquarelli was in court as a witness for sacked researcher and speech writer Jeffrey Babb. Babb was sacked by Pauline Hanson after just four weeks in the job - on the same day that Pasquarelli was given his marching orders.

In late November last year Babb said that Pasquarelli had produced a letter which was critical to his employment with Hanson. The letter clearly stated that Babb would work for a three month probationary period or "all bets were off". Babb was initially offered a job by Pauline Hanson at a barbecue on 30th October 1996 where Babb said "There was no talk of probation."

Tania Cirkovic, acting for Babb said, "I suggest Ms Hanson that you are in fact making it all up (reference to a probationary period when Babb was offered the job)."

Hanson replied, "I have not made anything up.

"I know I had an agreement with him of a probationary period."

Under cross examination Hanson said that she had hired Babb on the recommendation of Pasquarelli.

Babb, who is seeking to have his job reinstated and to be compensated, signed the letter while backdating it to November 18th - the day he started work for Pauline Hanson.

Federal Court Judicial Registrar Frances Milne has reserved her decision on Babb's claim.

Footnote:

Pasquarelli, who also sought compensation for what he claimed to be an unfair dismissal, is planning to write what he calls a "juicy" book revealing his influence on Pauline Hanson in those early days of her time as a Federal Member to Parliament. He will release the book next year.

Making the news" -
an indepth exposé of media and political collusion at the highest possible levels in Australia.

Political:

email the editor

You say:

Subject: Princess Diana and Kerry Packer

Dear Sir,

Kerry Packers flagship of ethical journalism, Woman's Day, July 28,1997 had 'DI'S NEXT MOVE A REAL SHOCKER' splashed across the cover.