Today's Headlines
an Aussie's viewpoint on Australia's first daily Internet newspaper.
Since October 1995

Friday 27th June 1997

Associated links:
Search entire news archive by day
Search entire news archive by text
Definitive Lifestyle Guide to over 5000 Australian webs
Global Web Builders Gold
The Kid's Locker Room
World Wide Websters

International:

Yesterday Pauline Hanson's One Nation party took an active position on the traditional Australian freedoms now under threat.

Here is an extract from that press release:

"It is incumbent on leaders of all kinds in our community to never allow their prejudice or personal views to darken the fairness of decision making. This is equally true in the issue of cross media ownership and the conflict of interest that may exist between big business and our country's shadowy political powerbrokers. I know many journalists are in fear of not only losing their ability to be even handed in their reporting, but possibly their careers.

"While the freedom enjoyed by the press carries with it the responsibilities not adhered to by all journalists, that essential freedom to honestly report what is of genuine public interest or concern must be maintained through a situation of independence, and not be allowed to in any way to be influenced by one or two powerful individuals. The Australian people have reason to be concerned by any decision that may lead to any form of conflict or potential monopoly. I urge our current government to be very careful with the issue of media."

The issue of the threat to Australian democracy through proposed changes to media ownership is now being put under the spotlight by some interesting partners with differing political viewpoints but sharing one common concern - the lack of an effective response to the problem by the major political parties.

Independent Senator Brian Harradine has applied pressure on a top level parliamentary committee to ban Australians from accessing X and R-Rated materials on the Internet.

Harradine, who holds the balance of power in the Senate, convinced the committee to recommend bans on materials "likely to cause offence to a reasonable adult".

"The committee is not convinced that society ought to provide millions of other legal outlets for this type of publication which is likely by definition to cause offence," the Senate committee report says.

The committee includes two Labor Senators, a Democrat Senator, four Coalition Senators and Brian Harradine.

The report recommendations include:

  1. Commonwealth to legislate against transmission of RC (refused classification) and adult material, as will all States and
  2. Territories.
  3. Commonwealth to establish a complaints handling body under ABA or similar association.
  4. Commonwealth to legislate to require Internet Service Providers (ISP) codes of practice.
  5. ISPs to be fined up to $100,000 for breach of Codes of Practice.
  6. ISPs who block material that "could" cause offence to be protected from prosecution.
  7. Adult material only available to over-18s with PIN numbers and age verification.
  8. ABA to investigate age-verification procedures.
  9. All state and territory governments to have uniform laws against transmission of RC and adult material and common definition of "objectionable material".
  10. State and Territory police do spot-check audits of online materials.
  11. Education scheme to promote new legislation and advise on new rules.
  12. Codes of Practice must include info on filters.
  13. Education campaign on pros and cons of blocking software.
  14. New labelling taskforce to rate Australian online content.
  15. ABA have hotline for illegal material to be reported.
  16. Australian Government to continue to develop international protocols in world forum.
Twinkle toes, better known as Brisbane's Lord Mayor Jim Soorley is off on an extended junket to lands afar. He is taking his partner (not wife) on an all expenses (rate payer) paid trip while flying business class to Europe and the US. He will be dancing to the tune of the new travel policies that his party introduced through council just a few months ago.

When Soorley was elected to the position of Mayor he slammed former Liberal Mayor Sally-Anne Atkinson for her overseas trips and expenses... how the worm turns.

Aboriginal leaders will announce the issues that a delegation will raise while on a tax payer funded trip in Europe next month.

The delegation, yet to be announced by the National Indigenous Working Groups, will lobby government leaders and human rights groups before taking these issues up with the United Nations in Geneva on July 26th.

Former Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission head Lois O'Donoghue said, "But obviously, there is not going to be too many positive in Geneva this time.

"The world needs to know about indigenous concerns because Australia prides itself on its human rights record. It needs to be highlighted that Australia is not as good as it thinks it is."

It is believed that the "stolen generation" report will be tabled at this meeting.

Every man and his dog is now talking about taking Pauline Hanson at the next Federal election... and the latest to throw his hat in the ring... none other than Bob Hawke! What would Blanche de..... (whatever - who cares) say about moving to Ipswich....

Pauline Hanson's One Nation Official home page.

Political:

Australian Labor Party opposition leader Kim Beazley said that Coalition Minister Geoff Prosser had "committed political suicide" yesterday after he tabled a detailed report refuting continuing allegations that he had breached the Government's code of conduct.

Prosser told Parliament that he had had meetings with councillors in Bunbury about his shopping centres and that he had in fact spoken to Bunbury councillor John McCourt despite denying this earlier in Parliament.

Beazley said that Mr Prosser's statements merely "confirmed and compounded his transgressions" - but with Parliament rising today for a two month winter break it looks like Prosser might have saved his skin although the continued attack and defence have made Parliament a farce as important matters of national interest are sidelined or dealt with "lobbied" bureaucrats to the detriment of the Australian democracy.

email the editor

You say:

Here is the revised (proposed) One Nation Anthem...

Thanks Peter, Ed...

For All of Australia

Out of the red outback centre,
Out of the rainforest green,
Out of the sleepy blue mountains;
We know where we have been.

We come from the time of the dreaming,
We come from over the sea.
This is our land of Australia,
A land for you and me.

With the speed of a kangaroo bounding,
Or the rush of a spinnaker run,
With the grace of a wild eagle soaring,
The race we know can be won.

We believe in the spirit of mateship,
We believe in a fair go for all,
We know we can do it together,
With a helping hand if you fall.

Together we settled Australia,
We threw off the chains of the past,
We spoke out and sought for our nationhood,
We knew we could do it at last.

From the rocky sea cliffs of Tasmania
To the reef in the tropical sun,
We're scattered all over Australia,
But we come together as one.

One nation uniting the continent,
One nation, proud and free,
One nation for all of Australia,
One nation for you and me.

-- Peter Mackay
Canberra, 24 June 1996

Subject: Launch of One Nation

Dear Pauline,

I would like to pass on my congratulations for the launch of One Nation, the time has come for Australians to stand up and display a pride and a love of their country that seems to have been forgotten. The "pompous politics" of the "well to do" have never been the leaders of our nation. Australia was built by convict settlers, the unwanted and disgraceful lower class of society . It was those people that went on to forge our history and our Proud Australian heritage.

I have lived in outback towns of Australia. I have even played football for what was considered to be the most racist football team in the league. Their views changed when an aboriginal side could not nominate a team for the next season due to lack of players. Our side invited the aboriginal players to join us. The whole town was shocked!!!! Most of all the Aboriginals. This experience taught me to appreciate the Aboriginal people, their culture and history yet some people would still today call me a racist because of my views. I also learnt that a lot of the Aboriginal people had little or no faith in the people that represented them. Doesn't that sound familiar!!!!

Ms Hanson, you have an unenviable task ahead of you. You will be ridiculed further, called a racist, spat on, lied to, and the power of the "well to do" will continue to use vehicles such as media to discredit you and your people. Please continue to voice your views. They are the views of many people, the people that have built this nation and the people that uphold that fading Aussie Spirit.

Pauline, I hope that in 50 years I can sit and watch the Anzac Parade pass, And see the tear in my grandchildren's eyes. That tear that every true Australian gets on Anzac day that says, "I'm so bloody proud to be an Australian". You have my vote Pauline, keep it up mate!

Darrel Whittaker

Subject: Comments on Australian News of the Day

Dear Editor,

Finally at last you have said something which I can agree with. The National (Australia) Bank (NAB) is making a huge profit, at the expense of almost everybody doing business with them. I had two very bad experiences with the NAB, and I did not come off as well as you have been able to. The first one was my own personal loan, which I took out to buy a car and this computer I type on. I was told I could organise a direct debit from my own savings account to pay off the loan. Sure, well and good. Went ok for about a year, at which time I decided to pay off more money and organised a new direct debit, cancelling the old one. The cancellation was not a problem, but they completely forgot to organise the NEW one. I, of course, being your typical trusting lady, neglected to read my statements and notice that no money was being taken out. Now because I had been paying extra to begin with, they did not contact me, nor did they contact me when I began to get behind. Months later, I get a collection agent appearing at my workplace! I immediately corrected the situation, putting myself ahead again, yet they still would not remove the black mark against my name when I go to apply for credit. Thanks NAB. The second one involved my family's business. Too long and involved a story to repeat here, but the NAB were completely inflexible on any of their charges. There was a $35 account keeping fee that appeared once a month. When questioned, they could not come up with a reason why we should pay it, yet they would not remove it. They had security of two houses, yet they would not loan the worth of one! In the end we had to close our business, and we were bought out by somebody else, my current employer. My parents came out with a $15,000 loss, and the NAB would not return the deeds etc until three months later! WHY? They were paid back in full. I took my business to a credit union that very same week, and have never looked back. Cost me a bit to change the loan over though, not from the NAB end.

As regards Telstra, I deal with them on a daily basis as we sell mobile phones. Seems different departments have different stories, and you can never ever find the same person you spoke to the first time. We've just about given up on phones, as there is no money to be made and it takes up a lot of time.

Wouldn't swap the internet service for quids, however. Very fast, and best service I have come across. You do get what you pay for in this world.. sometimes..

Jennifer Widdop

My company closed its account with National Australia Bank after we were forced to pay Au$450 in "bank charges" to secure a short term loan of Au$5,000 about eighteen months ago. The loan is now repaid and we are now very happy to bank with the Bank of Queensland. For those of you in Queensland we strongly recommend the move. For one thing you don't get charges a Au$15 "reference fee" every day cheques are cleared by the bank manager when you are temporarily in overdraft.

The Bank of Queensland head office phone number is: (07) 3212 3333. Make the move from NAB you won't regret it.

Editor.

Why should Australians put up with this sort of trash that come into our democratic society - as represented in the email received below? WHY? WHY? WHY? Where is the pendulum now Mr Howard?

Chung you deserve to be sent home to a society where you obviously enjoyed limited or no democracy.

It is because of you that Australia and Australians feel disgusted with the ethics of the media and the so-called racism/Hanson debate inspired by the one-sided media.