Today's Headlines
an Aussie's viewpoint on Australia's first daily Internet newspaper.
Since October 1995

Saturday 14th June 1997

Associated links:
Search entire news archive by day
Search entire news archive by text
Definitive Lifestyle Guide to over 5000 Australian webs
Global Web Builders Gold
The Kid's Locker Room
World Wide Websters

International:

About 100 illegal immigrants believed to be from China have landed on a remote island off the northern tip of Queensland.

Their 33 metre long steel vessel struck a sand bar on Thursday night before being tracked by Torres Strait Islander customs and immigration officials.

The ship was towed to Thursday Island yesterday. An Immigration spokesman, Pete Petersen said, "We know very little about them at this stage and it will take some time to find out where they have come from and what they are doing.

"They will be moved into proper accommodation on Thursday Island as soon as practicable.

"If they prove to be illegal, they will go into detention and be moved from the country as soon as we can get that in train."

Since 1989 2,719 boat people have landed illegaly in Australia. Of that number 521 have been granted permanent entry.

The local public drinking problems associated with some Aborigines could be resolved by allocating specific parks in the city of Brisbane for this purpose. This is the recommendation made in a state government report on the decriminalisation of public drunkeness... however Lord Mayor Jim Soorley doesn't like the idea and said that he would not allow public parks to be used for this purpose under any circumstances.

Unsolicited email

Subject: Perth Serial Killer

To those on my private email list, or have hit my web site looking for or requesting information. Here is the most recent case that I have been approached by several agencies to work on. I have had several newspapers and TV shows in Australia that what me to work on this very high profile case. There is also a $250,000 bounty on the serial killer. Right now I am waiting for several more people (agencies) to contact me in regards to working for their newspaper, magazine or TV show EXCLUSIVELY on this case. To those on the list that are MEDIA. You need to send me email ASAP in this matter, as I have several other cases that I can work on besides this one. I want to fly down to Perth and catch this KILLER in person!

Note the special email address for this case.
mailto:Perth-Serial-killer-1@psicop.com

The following was attached to this unsolicited email:

-----------------------------
>Subject: SERIAL KILLER WESTERN AUSTRALIA
>
>DEAR RILEY,
>
>I AM THE CHIEF OF STAFF WITH CHANNEL 7 NEWS IN PERTH WESTERN AUSTRALIA.
>I AM WONDERING WHETHER YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION OR HAVE BEEN INFORMED
>ABOUT A SERIES OF DISAPPEARANCES INVOLVING YOUNG WOMEN IN PERTH.
>THE LATEST DISAPPEARANCE IS CIARA GLENNON, AGED 27. ALL 3 WOMEN HAVE
>GONE MISSING IN THE LAST 15 MONTHS, ALL FROM THE SAME SUBURB AND ALL
>AFTER ATTENDING THE SAME POPULAR RITZY NIGHTCLUB.
>THE BODY OF ONE OF THE WOMEN HAS BEEN FOUND, BUT NO TRACE OF THE OTHER
>TWO. POLICE HAVE FORMALLY DESCRIBED THE PERSON RESPONSIBLE AS A SERIAL
>KILLER.
>POLICE HAVE FEW OR NO LEADS AND WE ARE WONDERING WHETHER YOU HAVE BEEN
>CONTACTED BY POLICE OR OTHERS, OR INDEED WOULD BE INTERESTED IN
>FOLLOWING UP THIS CASE.
>MY NAME IS DEBRA BISHOP OR IN MY ABSCENCE.. BOB GOODALL WOULD BE THE
>CONTACT.
========

Isn't it nice for the "psychics" out there that Channel 7 have discredited in current affairs programmes in the past that another is now secretly being approached to get "the story behind the Perth serial killer". That the media-loving psychic allegedly being approached in this case then spreads his wings with unsolicited email suggesting that the highest fee could result in an exclusive media interview covering a criminal case involving a serial killer.

How sad Channel Seven how tacky Mr Psychic - your vibes were obviously out when you sent me this email.

Oh, and if you want to check out the web site of self-proclaimed media star Riley G Psychic Detective - be my guest. Looks like he should have been one of those being exposed - not being sought... after all he claims to hang out with Uri Geller.

As quick as you please we received the following response from "Riley G" nothing psychic mind you just the old email network....

"For the record. I am not a media loving psychic as you put it. I posted that email in response to the many media emails and inquires in the use of my services. For the record, I have been in contact with several WA Police personal regarding this matter. If the press wants a feeding frenzy in this matter that's their problem and they must pay for any exclusive interviews with me, or to work exclusively with their agency. My work for the WA Police, as with other agencies is always for time, travel and expenses only, and is behind the scenes.

"The only thing that really matters is finding this low life killer and bringing him to justice for his crimes. That is the real issue at hand, not if a psychic detective with over 18 years of experience is involved in the case. By the way that 18 years is made up of my active involvement in the US Military, New York City Police Department and my own business ventures."

The Thin Blue Line,
Riley G
Psychic Detective & Remote Viewer
Retired New York City Police Officer

You be the judge of his statement "I am not a media loving psychic"... but I do agree with Riley about the "low-life" who is in our Australian backyard... but as he so sweetly summed it up in his initial post:
"Right now I am waiting for several more people (agencies) to contact me in regards to working for their newspaper, magazine or TV show EXCLUSIVELY on this case. To those on the list that are MEDIA. You need to send me email ASAP in this matter, as I have several other cases that I can work on besides this one. I want to fly down to Perth and catch this KILLER in person!"

Obviously there are a lot more crims out there that Riley can target at home but if the money is good enough to tackle the great Perth mystery the master will come and solve all, as Riley says, "If the press wants a feeding frenzy in this matter that's their problem and they must pay for any exclusive interviews with me, or to work exclusively with their agency."

Now let us remember his email to this on-line paper was totally unsolicited....

Pauline Hanson's One Nation Official home page.

Political:

Liberal backbenchers plan to put pressure on John Howard to explain how tax reform would help solve the job crisis in Australia.

Notices for a special meeting were sent out on Thursday by the Prime Minister to canvass backbench opinion on suggested tax reforms just before Howard's extended overseas trip to Britan and the USA.

email the editor

You say:

We refer to GWB's Sunday 8 June 1997 Internet Paper. In this isue you gave us breakdown on Australia's Population 1981 to 1995. The figures were supplied by ABS.

Assuming that the numbers provided are correct, a rough calculation shows that you have about 368,000 Chinese immigrants out of total number of 520,700 immigrants ( over a period of 15 years, (1981 to 1995). The Chinese immigrants thus constitute about 70.28% of total number of immigrants. The 70.28 % is a correct ball-park figure. Considering all immigration numbers, the flow of immigration to Australia is unsually low. Australia Total Population at 1995 is only 16,748,900 people, very low for a country of Australia's size.

The number of immigrants ( 99% Chinese) frorm Singapore, Indonesia and Taiwan is not listed. So it would be difficult to compute the true picture.

If you consider Singapore with a population of 3.1million in 1996.. The number of total Chinese immigrants from 1967 to 1996 is 750,000. The popultaion in 1967 was just under a million in 1967. Considering the period betweemn 1981 to 1995, the number of Chinese immigrants is 375,000. Compared to Australia's 368,800 Chinese immigrants for the same period, you somewhow feel that Australia's number is far from correct.

Anyway the 70.82% Chinese immigrants make up, would be very uncomfortable for any Non-Chinese country.

Await to hear from you,

Best Regards
Tirto, Singapore.

Business:

The chief executive officer of Optus Communications, Mr Ziggy Switkowski, suddenly quit yesterday from his high profile role. His resignation was followed by many other senior members of staff including chairman Russell Fynmore.

The new CEO is Peter Howell-Davies an executive of British telephone giant Cable and Wireless (C&W) who now hold a quarter of Optus.

It is anticipated that C&W will buy out BellSouth who hold 24.5% of Optus Communications - giving it nearly 50% of the company.

One of the parties believed to be behind the pressure which resulted in the resignations is Mayne Nickless who hold a sizeable stake in the company and who were frustrated at the slow speed at which Optus operated under Switkowski.

Personal trivia, from the global office:

Another beautiful day in paradise.

Havea good one.

Return to Australian National News of the Day

#

Web development, design, and storage by Global Web Builders - Email: global@gwb.com.au

See GLOBE International for other world news.

WA
anotd