Today's Headlines
an Aussie's viewpoint on Australia's first daily Internet newspaper.
Since October 1995

Tuesday 28th January 1997

Associated links:
Search entire news archive by day
Search entire news archive by text
Definitive Lifestyle Guide to over 5000 Australian webs
Global Web Builders Gold
The Kid's Locker Room
World Wide Websters

Issues - The banking system under the spotlight.

International:

The education gap between rich and poor in Australia is widening as certain fabrics in the Australian society start to break down. The education system has in the past been the great "equaliser" but a new study has pointed to this alarming new trend.

The gap between the number of students from higher socio-economic backgrounds who finish school compared to those from poorer families had been narrowing from 1980 to 1991 when 77% of students completed Year 12. But now the gap is once again widening with only 72% of students now completing Year 12.

The study, by the Australian Council for Educational Research found that students were leaving school before their final year not to take up vocational training but because they saw no point in continuing their secondary education.

The greatest falls in Year 12 completion in the last few years have been recorded in South Australia with 23% for males and 20% for females; Northern Territory with 14% for males and 15% for females and Queensland with 11% for males and 8% for females.

Political:

The Liberal leader of the New South Wales state opposition party, Mr Collins, has warned Prime Minister John Howard that any delay in a people's convention on a republic would be "politically damaging".

Collins warned Howard that the Australian people were losing patience over the government's lack of action over constitutional change.

"The perception is growing, I trust wrongly, that the Federal Government is reneging on its promises, which could become politically damaging," said Collins.

Industrial Relations minister Peter Reith refused to be drawn into the arguement only saying, "We have an excellent Constitution in Australia and it was very well drafted originally".

You say:

Subject: Gilford and the Saudi affair

Sir,

You have no doubt heard of Frank(?) Gilford whose sister was murdered in Saudi Arabia and that two Englishwomen haver been charged with the murder and this brother says he will not ask for clemency if they are found guilty. He is quoted as saying "you have to have faith in the laws of the land irrespective of families or anybody else".

I fear that these two women could be framed for a murder carried out by a Saudi (I have done a lot of reading on that place and this is what happens. You can scarcely believe the stories that come out of there, but perhaps you know this. This is the way there...if you are foreign you are just shit and then if " just a woman" too, then you are worse than shit. Never mind justice. They will do anything to protect their own, especially if you are connected).

I think Mr Gilford thinks that the Saudi system operates like Australia and if so he is sadly and lethally deluded.

I would like to send him some information (reading references) to help him make a more rational decision and perhaps to save two (possible) innocents.

Can you help me find an address (post, fax,email or whatever)? Pls let me know soon. More to my email - if you do not know the addresss of Mr Gilford what about Doctor Philllip Opas

Tks, Conrad Lealand

If anyone can help please write to me so that I can forward the information on to Conrad.

One from the Global Info-Links newsgroup:

On Mon, 27 Jan 1997 08:51:32 GMT, Don Cureton wrote:

>>While we were having an Aussie Day Barbie with a few friends today,
>>the conversation got around to one of our associates who suffers quite
>>seriously from triskadekaphobia .

Funny sort of conversaton for a piss-up!, but then obviously no-one suffered from hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia or even gnosiophobia.

Later on when the achluophobics and the acaraphobics had gone - no doubt also being albuminurophobics ( best get rid of all them sorts) you checked that there were no achluophobics left and no-one with a trace of gnosiophobia before you conquered your logizomechanophobia and struggling with your methyphobia to ask the question.

>>In the course of discussion we were unable to agree on exactly
>>the correct spelling of the word Triskadekaphobia. Some people prefer
>>to spell it triskeidaphobia.

Yes it is" triskadekaphobia" ( I had a dozen goes at it and I'm scared to try again in case I'm wrong!)

It's probably Greek in origin - so don't blame me if someone else spells it differently ( I'm slightly katagelophobic myself!)

>That should be Triskeidekaphobia. After 13 Aussie day rums my
>screen has gone all blurry and my keyboard is bent.

You are definitely showing signs of enosiophobia - 13 rums is no real excuse - (well not after today anyway)

I'm not really mad - have a gander

All will be revealed!!!

Les

Business:

Australian banks may be forced to write off more than Au$500 million in loans following the historic Wik decision on native title according to industry experts.

The infrastructure projects which are seen as most vulnerable include roads, mines and gas pipelines where physical assets are spread over large acreage.

Ms Lyndell Deves public affairs Manager at the Commonwealth Bank said yesterday, "Where we could have concern would be if court cases were to affect the cash flow at projects where we have leant money.... We have to be clear on cash flow projections.

"We are looking at this very carefully and there is a lot of uncertainty as to what might transpire in certain situations."

Quentin Solomon, a partner in the legal firm Clayton Utz said, "Loan security may be downgraded when the implications of the Wik decision are applied to certain situations".

The big four banks the ANZ, Commonwealth Bank, National Australia Bank, and Westpac Banking Corp have the biggest exposure to fallout from the Wik decision.

Solomon said, "Until the native title issue is resolved, no lender should take newly titled land as security without checking whether or not there is a need to comply with the right to negotiate process."

Sport:

The fourth test between Australia and the West Indies has given birth to a new star on the Australian scene - namely Michael Bevan. When Australia were eventually bundled out yesterday for 517 runs, Michael Bevan stood undefeated at 85. (Blewett was bowled earlier in the day on 99....) The West Indies then had to face the wrath of Bevan's spin bowling with the man of the match taking three of the six wickets to fall leaving the visitors on 154 - still 233 runs short of Australia's first innings score... an unenviable position to be in.

Personal trivia, from the global office:

It is one of those days when the soft rain just falls and falls... absolutely beautiful for making the green matter grow. It is quite cool, and quite eery in the valley in the soft light of the sun through a thick blanket of cloud.

Have a great day - one on the Gold Coast for yours truley...

Return to Australian National News of the Day

#

Web development, design, and storage by Global Web Builders - Email: global@gwb.com.au

See GLOBE International for other world news.

WA
anotd